Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Grandma Quilt







 My great-grandma Kingery had made a stack of hexagon patches in the 1970s. 
Grandma had made the patches using leftover fabrics from the clothes and quilts 
that she'd made for her ever-growing family.
Nanny brought them down the last time she came. We laid them out on the counter and we girls took turns picking out our favorite patches. 
We all agreed that having little quilts with a little bit of Grandma's work would be more 
enjoyable than trying to piece one big quilt that only one sister could use and love on. 
For our quilt top backgrounds, we used a vintage white flat sheet. 
A few of us found vintage sheets on Etsy and used them for our quilt backs.
I hand quilted around each hexagon patch with Perle cotton thread.
I love how my Grandma quilt turned out! 
Working on it made me think of past stories I've heard of Grandma. 
The way she'd make her melt-in-your-mouth biscuits, the way she'd call up the stairs to let my Paps and his little family that he'd brought back for visits know that breakfast was on the table, the way she always wore her hair in a bun, the way she loved her children, the way that she worked hard. 
Yep. I love my Grandma quilt!
xo Abi

No comments:

Post a Comment